Unplanned Pregnancy Media: Books, Movies and More
Find here some accidental pregnancy stories, whether they are unplanned pregnancy books or movies or songs about unplanned pregnancy.
Although unplanned pregnancy affects millions of women every year, it can sometimes be difficult to find media that accurately addresses the situation all these women face. Accidental pregnancy stories that you see on TV and in other forms of entertainment are not always realistic and may not capture the situation as it really is. It can be frustrating to find a lack of true unplanned pregnancy stories — with all their confusion, panic and anxiety — when the truth of the matter should be represented.
Still, there are some resources out there for you. You can find a lot of them on this page. Whether you are looking for accidental pregnancy stories or advice for your own unplanned pregnancy, we’ve gathered some helpful information here to give you a deeper perspective of unplanned pregnancy.
Books About Unplanned Pregnancy
Whether you’re looking for an entertaining read or medical information about pregnancy, these general and unplanned pregnancy books can help you find what you want:
- Oops! How to Rock the Mother of All Surprises: A Positive Guide to Your Unexpected Pregnancy by Tracy Moore – Moore offers a light, humorous, and refreshing perspective on unexpected pregnancy. This book answers every question that you may have with both wisdom and wit.
- Surprise Child: Finding Hope in Unexpected Pregnancy by Leslie Leyland Fields – This book takes you through the month-by-month experiences of an unplanned pregnancy from a religious standpoint.
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin – A widely known midwife, Gaskin offers a wide range of information for women interested in the natural birthing process.
- Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy: From Doctors Who Are Parents, Too! – This compilation of information from the Mayo Clinic provides you with all of the information you need about the medical side of your pregnancy.
Movies About Unplanned Pregnancy
Movies can do a great job of capturing the issues encountered by women facing unplanned pregnancies, as long as they are presented realistically. Here are just a few suggestions for unplanned pregnancy movies:
- Juno – A high school student finds herself pregnant and plans to place the baby for adoption. As she moves through her pregnancy, she has to navigate her relationships and learn what family really means to her. This is one of the most popular unplanned teen pregnancy stories in pop culture today.
- Obvious Child – After a one-night stand, a stand-up comic soon learns that she is pregnant. Over the course of several weeks, she contemplates abortion, a budding relationship, and her future.
- Waitress – A young woman becomes pregnant by her abusive husband. As she prepares to have a baby, she battles feelings of ambivalence about her pregnancy and her future with her husband.
- The Abortion Diaries – This documentary gives the perspectives of 12 different women on their experiences with abortion.
- Closure – A documentary about a woman finding her birth family, this film offers a lot of insight for anyone who does not know much about adoption.
Songs About Unplanned Pregnancy
A great deal of emotion tends to accompany an unplanned pregnancy, and musicians perhaps tackle this subject the best. Songs are always up to interpretation, but here are a few that address the challenges of pregnancy, whether planned or unplanned, and any resulting decision:
- “There Goes My Life,” Kenny Chesney
- “Papa Don’t Preach,” Madonna
- “Late,” Mya
- “You’re Gonna Be,” Reba McEntire
- “Two Pink Lines,” Eric Church
Blogs About Unplanned Pregnancy
While there are not many unplanned pregnancy blogs (likely due to the intimacy and privacy of this situation), there is one blog through which people can submit their unplanned pregnancy stories. If you are facing an unplanned pregnancy, it can be comforting to read them: PregnantandUnplanned.Wordpress.com.
Keep in mind that the majority of these unexpected pregnancy stories describe women who chose to parent their babies.
Additional Resources About Unplanned Pregnancy
If you’re not in the mood for books or movies about unplanned pregnancy, here is some media that you can take on the go:
You can also find many unplanned pregnancy articles across our site, including detailed information about all of your unplanned pregnancy options.
Many healthcare clinics, adoption agencies, and counselors can provide you with additional reading or viewing material regarding unplanned pregnancy. For more suggestions, contact a professional in your area. And remember, as these books, movies, and other resources show — you’re never alone.